The purpose of the agreement is to provide a framework of cooperation and to facilitate collaboration between PAP and the ILO to further shared goals in Africa.
When: September 2, 2022
Time: 13:30 SAST (GMT+2)
Pretoria, August, 29, 2022 (ILO News) - The International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Pan-African Parliament (PAP) will be entering into a partnership which includes a three-year work plan on joint priorities. The signature of the Cooperation Agreement will be taking place virtually on 2 September 2022, in the margins of the Pan-African Parliament Committee Sittings.
Under the overarching goals of the African Union Agenda 2063 – The Africa We Want, the 2019 ILO Centenary Declaration for the Future of Work as well as the Abidjan Declaration – Advancing Social Justice: Shaping the future of work in Africa, the cooperation will focus on priority areas identified by PAP and the ILO to respond to newly emerging issues in the realm of advancement of labour rights and standards, including:
• Promotion of fundamental principles and rights at work; promotion of relevant international labour standards on child labour and forced labour, as well as the Violence and Harassment Convention, 2019 (No. 190).
• Full, productive and freely chosen employment and decent work for all (including issues related to skills and lifelong learning, formalization of the informal economy, sustainability enterprises and productivity).
• Ensuring adequate protection for all workers (including social protection, labour migration management, gender, and non-discrimination approach).
The ILO will be represented in the signature ceremony by the Assistant Director-General and Regional Director for Africa, Ms. Cynthia Samuel-Olonjuwon, while the Pan African Parliament will be represented by its President H.E. Hon. Chief Fortune Zephania Charumbira.
To attend the virtual signing ceremony, please click here to register.
For further information and to arrange media interviews, please contact:
- Jeffrey Onganga, Communication officer, PAP; email: email@example.com
- Tshepo Mohatle, Specialist of Communication and Information Management, ILO DWT/CO-Pretoria; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asmaa Rezk, Specialist of Communication and Information Management; ILO DWT/CO-Cairo; email: email@example.com
- François Gombahi, Specialist of Communication and public information officer; ILO CO-Abidjan; email: firstname.lastname@example.org