The Secretariat is headed by the Clerk of Parliament, who is assisted by two Deputy Clerks; one head the Legislative Business Department and the other heads the Finance, Administration and Human Resources. Their appointment is spelt out in Article 12(6) of the PAP Protocol: “The Pan-African Parliament shall appoint a Clerk, two Deputy Clerks and such other staff and functionaries as it may deem necessary for the proper discharge of its functions.”
The secretariat is mandated to support the work of Parliament by working to achieve the following objectives as spelt out in Article 3 of the Protocol to the Treaty establishing the African Community relating to the Pan-African Parliament:
- Facilitate the effective implementation of the policies and objectives of the OAU/AEC and ultimately, of the African Union.
- Promote the principles of human rights and democracy in Africa.
- Encourage good governance, transparency, and accountability in the Member States.
- Familiarize the peoples of Africa with the objectives and policies aimed at integrating the African continent within the framework of the establishment of the African Union.
- Promote peace, security, and stability.
- Contribute to a more prosperous future for the people of Africa by promoting collective self-reliance and economic recovery.
- Facilitate cooperation and development in Africa
- Strengthen Continental solidarity and build a sense of common destiny among the peoples of Africa.
- Facilitate cooperation among Regional Economic Communities and their Parliamentary fora.
|Deputy Clerk - Legislative Business and Conferences||Mr. Gali Massa HAROU|
Head of Human Resources and Administration
Mrs. Vivian ABII
Head of Committees, Research, Documentation and Library Division
Mr. Galal NASSIR
Head of Finance
Ms. Charlotte MARCK
Head of Plenary Hansard, Translation & Interpretation
Ms. Lisette HOUNTONDJI